The purpose of this web quest is to have you understand and analyze the events that fueled the Civil Rights Movement beginning with the Supreme Court decision of Brown vs. The Board of Ed and all the way through the March on Washington.
Create a Google Document and title it Civil Rights with your first and last name. Then Read through each section and answer the corresponding questions.
Use the websites/links below to answer the corresponding questions. Your answers should be a different color and directly below the question. When you have completed the web quest share it with me through Google Docs.
Brown vs. Board (1954)
- What was the main issue that was focused on by the Supreme Court during this court case?
- What did the Supreme Court determined about “Separate but Equal”?
- How did the Supreme Court expect states to de-segregate public schools?
- Who was Emmett Till?
- What happened to Emmett Till and why?
- How does the article describe Emmett Till while he is growing up?
- Why did Emmett Till go to Mississippi?
- Why was Rosa Park Arrested?
- Why did E.D Nixon believe Rosa Parks case was the right segregation case to take to the courts?
- How many African Americans participated in the boycott on December 5th?
- How did black leaders keep the boycott going?
- What did the boycott do for Martin Luther king?
- Who were the Freedom Riders?
- What was their purpose?
- Did they encounter during their rides?
- How many demonstrators took part in the march?
- How was this march different from previous marches?
- What was the highlight of the day?
- After the march, who did Dr. King and other civil rights leaders met with?